Knowing how to pick myself up after a bad day was important when I was living abroad and away from my family and close friends and working in a job I didn’t like. slowly but surely figured out some ways to make me instantly happy again. Quick fixes to forget about the day, feel happy and stay positive. I still use these techniques (although I have a better support circle and I’m generally happy with my life here). Here they are:
- Exercise. Going to the gym always makes me feel happier (from the endorphins!), stronger and healthier.
- Cook. I like to make myself a simple meal with lots of nourishing veggies. My fave pick-me-up dish is a quick stir fry with rice or noodles topped with an egg and chilli flakes.
- Drink. Tea of course! Making and drinking a herbal or plain black tea helps me to relax instantly.
- Read. A great page turner or a magazine with uplifting pictures and articles always makes me forget my own troubles.
- Watch. A funny movie, TV show or youtube video which makes me laugh out loud and get caught up in someone else’s drama.
- Sleep. Because everything will always be better in the morningAnd if all that fails…
- Call. My mum and dad or boyfriend or close friends. Because they always know what to say to make me feel better.